No Citizenship? No Problem! How to Get a U.S. Mortgage as a Non-U.S. Citizen

If you’re a non-U.S. citizen interested in buying an investment property in the United States, you might think getting a mortgage is out of the question. However, this is not necessarily the case. It is possible to obtain a U.S. mortgage even if you are not a U.S. citizen or have a green card.

The type of mortgage you can obtain depends on your residency status. If you are a permanent resident alien with a green card, you can apply for a mortgage in much the same way as U.S. citizens. You will need to provide documentation showing that you have a green card and a social security number. Lenders will look at your credit history and financial situation to determine whether you are eligible for a loan.

If you are a non-permanent resident alien, meaning that you don’t have a green card but you do have a social security number or an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number), in that case, you can still obtain a mortgage. To do so, you will need to provide a work permit or special employer-sponsored visa, and lenders will need to verify that you can live and work in the United States for at least three years.

Non-U.S. citizens who do not have lawful residency in the United States are not eligible for Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, or FHA home loans. However, there are still many options available to them. Foreign national loans are available for non-residents who want to purchase a vacation or investment property in the U.S.

America Mortgages is the industry expert in foreign national loans. We offer two popular programs:

•  AM Express+: This program is designed for borrowers who cannot show the required income for various reasons, such as self-employment, lumpy income, or privacy concerns. It doesn’t require income verification, U.S. credit, or residency and has a high LTV (loan-to-value) ratio of 75%.

•  AM Investor+: This program is designed for borrowers who can show their foreign income through a simplified process, qualifying much like a U.S. citizen. Rates are comparable to what a U.S. citizen would pay, and the LTV can go as high as 75% without reserves required.

America Mortgages is the only global mortgage originator laser focused on U.S. real estate financing with offices in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Shanghai, London, Paris, and Sydney. They offer borderless mortgages, making it easy for U.S. expats and foreign nationals to purchase property in the U.S. without ever leaving their home country or country of residence.

One of the challenges that foreign borrowers face when trying to obtain a U.S. mortgage is the lack of credit history. It can take years to accumulate enough credit history to generate a good score. However, America Mortgages can accept a foreign credit report instead of a standard U.S. credit report. This is a unique feature that sets America Mortgages apart from other US-based lenders and brokers.

If you are a U.S. expat who files U.S. taxes but works for a foreign company and doesn’t receive a W2, America Mortgages has a program for you. Our expat mortgage program looks at your foreign income just as it would if it were paid in U.S. dollars. Your W2 is offset with other documents, and your loan is processed just as it would if you were in the U.S. This program does require sufficient U.S. credit, but if U.S. credit isn’t an option because you’ve been abroad for many years, America Mortgages has programs for these borrowers as well.

In summary, non-U.S. citizens can obtain a mortgage in the United States regardless if they have a green card or social security number. Foreign national mortgage programs, like the ones offered by America Mortgages, have made it easier for borrowers outside the U.S. to finance second homes or investment properties in the country. These programs allow borrowers to make smaller down payments and receive competitive interest rates. America Mortgages also offers programs for U.S. expats and those without sufficient U.S. credit, making it a welcoming option for almost every type of borrower.